Thursday, February 19, 2009

Nietzsche

My favorite quote of late is by Nietzsche "We have art so that we shall not die of reality" Isnt that great?

When I feel like I am 'dying of reality' aka the everyday wonderful craziness that is my life, the thing that heals me best is to create something, whether a new piece of jewelry, a sketch or a martian made out of old oatmeal boxes and pipe cleaners. I used to feel trapped by all the nuttiness, felt like I would never be 'allowed' to let any creativity back in. What I didnt know was that I was the one doing the 'not allowing'. The way I feel about life has changed dramatically since I took the step, realized I deserved it, and with the help of my family, created "the Art Room" in our house, a place devoted to creating, and perservering. I have had failures in there, many, but they are all steps in the process, and are all good. The simple act of entering the room has an effect on me, calming, empowering, recharging.

And yes other stuff in my life must wait, but who cares if I dont always get all the laundry done? As long as Evan has clean underwear and socks, it's all good.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous post, I always escape to my studio for stress relief to (except at Christmas, Valentines etc when the commissions & making them lovely adds a bit of stress itself, lol)
    So where's the picture of your oatmeal box martian? :D
    Great blog post & I hadn't head the Nietzsche quote, it's fab
    Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola-

    Thanks so much for reading me! what a nice present!

    The oatmeal box martian was destroyed by an army of GI Joes who had been hypnotized by Cobra Commander to think the martian was evil.

    We're supposed to make a volcano on Friday, I will post pics of that.

    smiles

    DeAnne

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?